Looks like its going to be another one of those wet weekends. Bit of a shame as I was thinking of heading out to the Kaipara Flats Primary School Agricultural and Gala Day which is on tomorrow. As well as the kids showing off their hard work, art and animal skills there are heaps of activities from wood chopping to pony rides, plus their fundraising auction as well. I hope the weather breaks enough for the day to be a huge success tomorrow.
But if it is a wet one, it could be a weekend inside with the books, movies and music. I am still working through my fantasy phase and watched the Hugo Award winning "Stardust" last night. Based on the graphic novel by Neil Gaiman this is billed as Lord of the Rings meets Romeo and Juliet. I am not sure if I agree with that description but I loved this fairy tale with witches (Michelle Pfieffer), warring princes trying to become king, and look out for a fantastic out of character performance from Robert de Niro.
Loads of new DVD's and books are hitting the shelves at the moment. Some of the books that have caught my eye have been in the non-fiction shelves. Non-fiction is nothing like it used to be - boring and dry. A whole bunch of interesting and vibrant non-fiction books are on the shelves.
Waiter Rant: behind the scenes of eating out (A. Waiter) looks like a must read. "Most restaurant customers are nice people, but a few are socially maladjusted psychopaths who relish giving their waiters a hard time"
With a by-line "The colourful story of a city" Gordon McLauchlan's The Life and Times of Auckland is a "lively people's history, packed with colourful stories about the place and its people (which) tells how it got to be where everybody seems to want to live"
Suzanne Paul (But wait, there's more) and Denise L'estrange-Corbett (All that Glitters) are two autobiographies which are in high demand. But there's nothing to stop you putting in a request so that you are on the list.
Remember all our libraries are open on Saturday mornings, so pay us a visit and ask if you are looking for something special.
Have a good weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment