I think I may have said this before. Being a Librarian is sometimes a bit like being a detective. Sometimes people come in with queries that require a little more than locating a book and pulling it off the shelves.
A child asked me this week whether or not I knew every book in the library. The answer is of course "No". However librarians do know how to find the books you want, hopefully on our shelves, but if not further afield. The same applies to information. We don't know everything but we are trained to be able to find the answers to your questions.
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, we need outside help. Yesterday was one of those times, so I thought I would also throw this question out to cyberspace to see if anyone can help me and my customer.
We are trying to find out about infantry camps in the Warkworth area prior to troops embarking for World War One, and in particular the Gallipoli campaign. This is NOT a misprint. We are not talking about the Americans who camped around Warkworth during WWII. This would have been in 1914 and he was part of the 15th Regiment (later renamed the North Auckland Regiment). Camping in Warkworth is specifically mentioned in his war diaries.
So if anyone out there knows anything, please let me know. I admit I am a bit like a dog with a bone on this one and determined to find some answers.
Ka kite ano
No comments:
Post a Comment