Friday, 30 July 2010

Top 5 on Friday - Poetry

Today is National Poetry Day, so it seems appropriate that I delve into the non-fiction shelves to talk to you about my favourite poetry. I have to admit straight away that I am not normally a poetry reader, but like most things, I know what I like (which changes dependnig on my mood). So here are a few things that pique my interest (in no particular order). If you want to check out Rodney Libraries poetry selection, you can find it on our non-fiction shelves under Call # 821. And don't forget our Poetry day events at Wellsford and Mahurangi East Libraries today.
  1. There is a poignancy about war poetry that has appealed to me ever since I studied the World War One poets such as Wilfred Owen. Which is why I have chosen The Happy Warrior - An Anthology of Australian and New Zealand Military Poetry. Many of these read more like ballads and if you consider songs to be a form of poetry that is probably why these appeal to me. From the Boer War and POW's to Dreams of Home and Prayers you can choose a poem for both laughter and tears.

  2. The Word Witch - The Magical Verse of Margaret Mahy has something for the whole family. A fantastic collection from a famous New Zealander.

  3. Dear to Me - 100 New Zealanders write about their favourite poems. Sometimes it is easier to appreciate poetry if you know why it appeals to other people. It certainly gave me a new insight into poems I had never considered before.

  4. Get Some by Sonya Yelich. This thin volume of poetry tells the story of a tour of duty of an American soldier in Iraq. Described as "by turns chilling, funny, deeply sad and thought-provoking" it is also extremely readable. While stories told in verse are not really my thing, this contemporary offering is an exception.

  5. Finally another recent addition to our shelves. B is for Bad Poetry by Pamela August Russell. Short, pithy and irreverant they will make you smile, if not burst into laughter. Here's one that I can relate to, which probably means that the poet has achieved her purpose.

Sandy Dennis Briefly
by Pamela August Russell
.

I wake up
to my cats
judging me.
They stare
blankly
as if to say,
"Is that what
you had in mind
for your life?
If it is, you may
want to consider
sleeping pills or
a tall bridge
because in our view,
you're pathetic."

Or

they're hungry.

No comments: