Monday, 8 July 2013

Marathons: A Pure Indulgence (Part 1): Paranormal Pandemonium

I love marathons.

And no I'm not talking about the kind of marathons you run. Because heaven forbid. Me? Run? Sorry not gonna happen.

What I am talking about are movie marathons, TV series marathons, book and author marathons.  The kind of thing where you indulge yourself completely in something.  Bingeing. At least according to a recent article that appeared in Canvas the NZ Herald weekend supplement.

It is, it seems, a relatively new phenomenon.  Who knew?

Well my partner and I  - apparently. Because we've been binge watching for several years now.  Or marathon watching as we call it. In fact marathon watching a TV show is the only way to watch a show.

Trust me you don't know what you're missing until you've tried it.

It's seriously addictive. And once you start you can't stop. And of course marathon works really well with other mediums too such as movies and books. 

Winter is a perfect marathony time of the year. When you can spend endless hours indoors and not have to feel even a little bit guilty about it.  And yes I know marathony isn't a word but if you can think of a better word let me know.  In the mean time there is nothing better than stretching out on the couch with a hot beverage, a king size bar of chocolate and the utter indulgence of a marathon session.

Supernatural

8 seasons and counting.

Supernatural as you may know is my god.  The show that I measure all other shows to.

It's brilliant and funny and sad and exciting and... well I could just go on.  But I won't.  Just check it out for yourselves.  You will soon be hooked.

The Vampire Diaries    

Hot vampires? Check. Badass werewolves? Check. Love Story. Double Check.  And of course it has some great indie music.

Vampire Diaries is a confusing, somewhat trashy mess and it's all the better for it.  This is not a show to take seriously, instead just sit back and root for your favourite vampire bad-boy Damon Salvatore and wallow in his misery.

It's awesome stuff

Buffy the vampire slayer

Buffy was my first love.  

It was a show that broke all boundaries combining horror with humour in a subtle and exciting way.  It took itself seriously without taking itself seriously - if that makes any sense.

Throwing out the dumb blonde who always got killed and spinning it all on it's head and turning her into a kick ass heroine who could be girly one minute and stab a vampire with a stake the next.

In a word it was bloody fantastic.

Being Human

Being Human was the British way of making a paranormal TV show and it had it's  own unique, dark touch to it, something the Brits do so well.

There were struggles with identity and acceptance... and creatures even badder than you wanting to kill you. Who knew that being a vampire, werewolf or ghost could be so hard.

Laurell K. Hamilton

Before there was Buffy there was Anita Blake.

The gutsy heroine struggling to live in a world of vampires, werewolves, zombies and other creatures of the night.  As well as having problems with her love life.

What's a girl to do
 
J. R. Ward

A society of vampire warriors who defend their race against those that would do them harm, the Black Dagger Brotherhood are the ultimate vampires.

The covers of this series also let you know that these guys are not only deadly but sexy too.  Featuring as they do, a variety of bare-chested men. Sex sells and the popularity of this series is a testament to this.

It's the perfect romance/paranormal series to indulge in.

Sherrilyn Kenyon    

More warriors.

More sexy, hot men who will do anything for the women they love.

The Dark Hunter series features immortal warriors dedicated to defending mankind from the forces of evil. It's heady, sexy stuff.

Christine Feehan

Of course you just knew they were going to be more sexy, hot men.  In the Carpathain series these men are a powerful and ancient race, skilled in the art of killing... and love.

Finding a suitable mate though is difficult, especially in the world of mortals.

And the men in our lives thought they had it hard.

2 comments:

Ness said...

Oh I can completely relate to this post. The only series I haven't watched is Being Human and that was on my list to try. :)

tosca said...

YES TO EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST *sighs in contentment* Most especially Supernatural and Buffy. I also heart that you call Vampire Diaries a confusing, hot mess because it really is, and yet it works, right? Strange. I went poking through our catalogue for Teen Wolf as a mention in my comment. Nothing. NOTHING! I is disappoint :/