Okay so maybe not a 101 reasons, but you get the picture. Although I'm sure I could think of that many if a) I had the time and b) I was allowed to do a post that was 10,000 words long.
Of course I blame it all entirely on my mother. After all she was the one who let an impressionable 6 year old watch Doctor Who in the first place.
Now I don't remember much about that first time except that I sat glued wide-eyed to the screen with a cushion on my lap ready to hide behind when things got scary and even then I would peep behind it, unable to resist finding out what was happening. It was heady stuff.
No wonder I became addicted.
From Doctor Who it was a quick leap to a multitude of other Sci-fi shows; some good and some not so good. I watched them all and it's a love affair that has continued to grow.
Of course I blame it all entirely on my mother. After all she was the one who let an impressionable 6 year old watch Doctor Who in the first place.
Now I don't remember much about that first time except that I sat glued wide-eyed to the screen with a cushion on my lap ready to hide behind when things got scary and even then I would peep behind it, unable to resist finding out what was happening. It was heady stuff.
No wonder I became addicted.
From Doctor Who it was a quick leap to a multitude of other Sci-fi shows; some good and some not so good. I watched them all and it's a love affair that has continued to grow.
If you're not a fan, you're probably reading this thinking I'm a complete wacko, which is okay, I'll leave you to watch your shows and I'll indulge in mine.
Personally I'm kind of keen on making my own Stargate out of a toaster (well they did it on the show) and landing on a world where the natives are friendly or even better, in the arms of a sexy space captain. Unfortunately with my luck I'd probably end up with my molecules splattered across the inside of an asteroid instead. Still there are worse ways to go.
In the meantime I'll just have to contend with dreaming about traveling the universe and sexy space captains and re-watching my favourite shows which fortunately Auckland Libraries have got on DVD.
Doctor Who
"The adventures of a time traveling alien and his companions."
Like many I grew up with Doctor Who. First with Jon Pertwee, then with Tom Baker and so-on-and-so.
Sadly my love affair waned as I got older. There were other shows that seemed so much better and fed my addiction to Sci-fi in ways that the Doctor no longer could.
Then David Tennant came along and I fell love with the show all over again.
From its humble beginnings it has continued to grow and expand, showing us sides to the Doctor that we never dreamed of.
Not bad for a show that will celebrate 50 years next year.
"A group of convicts fight a guerrilla war against the totalitarian Federation."

Blakes 7 was dark. Like really dark. And none more so than the last episode of the series.
I won't reveal the ending but at the time it left you screaming at the TV with an ear piercing noooo. It was shocking and brave and took a risk that pretty much no show at the time would have ever dared to do.
Now more than 30 years later you can just ignore the dodgy special effects and flamboyant clothes and revel in the sheer badassingness of Avon and the rest.
Let's hope the remake is just as good.
Babylon 5
"The commander of Bablyon 5 tries to establish peace between various interstellar empires, all the while fighting forces from both within the Earth Alliance and outside." Think space opera. Think mysterious aliens up to no good. Think war and religion and sacrifice and host of other things and you might just get an inkling of what Bab 5 was about.
In a word it was complicated. It was also pretty damn good.
The main cast was good but it was secondary characters who really made the show from G'Kar to Marcus to Neroon, it was this kind of character depth that helped make Bab 5 a fan favourite.
Stargate SG-1
"A secret military team is formed to explore the recently discovered Stargates which enable them to travel to other planets."
I love this show. Which is testament in that I have all 10 seasons... and the movies... and that I have met nearly all the actors from the show - Ben Browder, I'm still waiting for you to come to Armageddon so if you are reading this (now wouldn't that be cool!) I hope you take this as an invitation.
Okay fangirly moment over.
Stargate managed to mix drama and action and humour along with great characters in a perfect Sci-fi blend. Now this is how a Sci-fi show should be done.
Stargate Atlantis
"A team of scientists and military personnel discover a Stargate network in the Pegasus galaxy and come to face with a new enemy, the Wraith."
Atlantis had a tough act to follow in the footsteps of the highly successful Stargate SG-1.
Yet succeed it did. Like SG-1 it combined all the right elements to create a show that could be both dramatic and exciting with characters that you cared about.
Sadly it didn't get the same long run due to the recession hitting the studio but even 5 seasons of Atlantis were better than many other shows out there.
Torchwood
"The members of Torchwood, a secret organisation, fight to protect Earth from extraterrestrial threats."
Aahh Captain Jack. What can I say... the fact that he (the character) got his own show after guest starring in Doctor Who shows how good he was.
When he's around no woman... or man for that matter, whether they are human or alien is safe.
This is the adult version of Doctor Who and it pushed all the boundaries in ways that its predecessor never could.
If you new to this show watch the first three seasons and then stop. Whatever you do don't watch Miracle Day, it'll ruin the series for you. Instead linger and marvel at the awesomeness that is Captain Jack.
Battlestar Galactica
"When an old enemy, the Cylons resurface and destroys 12 planets, it's up to the Galactica to protect the survivors as they try to outrun the Cylons and find a mythical planet named... Earth."
Forget everything you know about the original series. This version is soooo much better.
Gone is the freshly blow dried hair, the cheesy goodness and the roving red eyed metal robots and their metallic voices saying "By your command" (though have to admit I kind of miss these guys).
Instead Starbuck is now a woman and she's kind of a bitch. The cyclons are badder and better than ever - now that they human. And the lines between good and evil have never been so blurred.
God this show was good.
Farscape
"Thrown into the distant future astronaut John Crichton finds himself part of a fugitive alien spaceship crew."
Ben Browder - again.
This time there is no Stargate. This time he's on a spaceship caught up in events he never imagined. He's also involved in a pretty steamy will-they-or-won't-they relationship with a alien solider chick named Aeryn.
This is no ordinary boy meets girl. In a galaxy far far away romantic relationships are alot more complicated... and deadly.
Forgot Romeo and Juliet. Crichton and Aeryn are the real star-crossed lovers who face almost impossible odds.
Don't you just hate it when saving the galaxy gets in the way of your love life.
Life on Mars
"After being in a car accident in 2006 DCI Sam Tyler wakes up to find himself in 1973."
Technically Life on Mars isn't a Sci-fi show but it was just so good I just had to include it on this list.
A homage to cop shows of the past such as the Sweeney and the Professional, Life on Mars was a cop show with a difference. It also featured the one of the greatest characters ever - Gene Hunt.
This man was sexist and prejudice and we loved him for it. He even made words like knickers and shagging and bollocks sound sexy.
Ashes to Ashes
"A sequel to Life on Mars, this time DI Alex Drake wakes from a coma to find herself thrown back in time to 1981."
This time round the 70's are over and the 80's are alive and well.
Gene Hunt is back and in this sequel to Life on Mars he continues catching bad guys while still being his usual charming self. He's also got a new partner in the form of DI Alex Drake.
Yet along side all the usual drama and police corruption there are other more mysterious things going on. Will the truth be finally revealed? Or will it turn out to be all a dream?
You have to watch it to find out. And take my word for it both Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are well worth watching.
"The members of Torchwood, a secret organisation, fight to protect Earth from extraterrestrial threats."
Aahh Captain Jack. What can I say... the fact that he (the character) got his own show after guest starring in Doctor Who shows how good he was.
When he's around no woman... or man for that matter, whether they are human or alien is safe.
This is the adult version of Doctor Who and it pushed all the boundaries in ways that its predecessor never could.
If you new to this show watch the first three seasons and then stop. Whatever you do don't watch Miracle Day, it'll ruin the series for you. Instead linger and marvel at the awesomeness that is Captain Jack.
Battlestar Galactica
"When an old enemy, the Cylons resurface and destroys 12 planets, it's up to the Galactica to protect the survivors as they try to outrun the Cylons and find a mythical planet named... Earth."
Forget everything you know about the original series. This version is soooo much better.
Gone is the freshly blow dried hair, the cheesy goodness and the roving red eyed metal robots and their metallic voices saying "By your command" (though have to admit I kind of miss these guys).
Instead Starbuck is now a woman and she's kind of a bitch. The cyclons are badder and better than ever - now that they human. And the lines between good and evil have never been so blurred.
God this show was good.
Farscape
"Thrown into the distant future astronaut John Crichton finds himself part of a fugitive alien spaceship crew."
This time there is no Stargate. This time he's on a spaceship caught up in events he never imagined. He's also involved in a pretty steamy will-they-or-won't-they relationship with a alien solider chick named Aeryn.
This is no ordinary boy meets girl. In a galaxy far far away romantic relationships are alot more complicated... and deadly.
Forgot Romeo and Juliet. Crichton and Aeryn are the real star-crossed lovers who face almost impossible odds.
Don't you just hate it when saving the galaxy gets in the way of your love life.
Life on Mars
"After being in a car accident in 2006 DCI Sam Tyler wakes up to find himself in 1973."
Technically Life on Mars isn't a Sci-fi show but it was just so good I just had to include it on this list.A homage to cop shows of the past such as the Sweeney and the Professional, Life on Mars was a cop show with a difference. It also featured the one of the greatest characters ever - Gene Hunt.
This man was sexist and prejudice and we loved him for it. He even made words like knickers and shagging and bollocks sound sexy.
Ashes to Ashes
"A sequel to Life on Mars, this time DI Alex Drake wakes from a coma to find herself thrown back in time to 1981."
This time round the 70's are over and the 80's are alive and well. Gene Hunt is back and in this sequel to Life on Mars he continues catching bad guys while still being his usual charming self. He's also got a new partner in the form of DI Alex Drake.
Yet along side all the usual drama and police corruption there are other more mysterious things going on. Will the truth be finally revealed? Or will it turn out to be all a dream?
You have to watch it to find out. And take my word for it both Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are well worth watching.




1 comment:
ben browder. i'm still waiting for them to try and get him back again.
Post a Comment