Monday, 29 October 2012

The tale of vegan ultrarunner

I've just finished Eat & Run : my unlikely journey ultramarathon greatness by Scott Jurek based on a friend's recommendation.

Talk about inspiring! Jurek is a vegan who runs ultramarathons (that is, running the equivalent of several marathons back-to-back), covering distances on foot that most of us only dream of.

Now I'm not an ultrarunner by any stretch, but I am fascinated & enthused by the stories Scott shares about how he got to where he is today - transforming his meat & potato childhood to adult veganism, his friendships & rivalry with other ultrarunners, his commitment to being the best he can be in every circumstance.

His writing style, his stories, his honesty, his humour - it makes you want to get out there & just go for it, in whatever field your chosen 'it' is. Be the best that you can.

So I'm off to re-read Born to run by Chris McDougall, and to get my hands on a copy of Lisa Tamati's Running Hot about her experience of the Badwater Ultramarathon through Death Valley. Since it's unlikely that I'll ever run an ultramarathon, then I am quite satisfied to live vicariously through others.

If you are needing inspiration to dust off your running shoes, then I'd encourage you to read these books, and then get out there & get running!

1 comment:

Ness said...

As we sit on the cusp of a new year...I am definitely adding a couple of these books to my reading list :)