Since I arrived back at my desk I feel like I haven't achieved very much. Despite the fact that I enjoyed an extra hour's sleep courtesy of the end of daylight savings over the weekend, if today is anything to go by I feel Friday will arrive with the same sort of emotion. Which is not to say I haven't been reading and reviewing. Since I finished The Passage (Justin Cronin) on Lisa's recommendation while on holiday (great, fantastic, wonderful, everything people said it was), I don't seem to have been able to get into anything adult (fiction or non-fiction) so I have been concentrating on short and snappy i.e. children's fiction. The latest one I picked up was The Savage by David Almond and Dave McKean Part chapter book and part graphic novel – two inspirational men tell the story of Blue, a young boy who is bullied, loses his father and turns to an imaginary world to cope. Blue creates the story of The Savage who lives in the caves under the Church. But how imaginary is the Savage really? Gritty, compelling, surreal… The message may be rammed home a little too hard and the solution a little too obscure. Blue's story of the Savage is authentic (including grammar and spelling errors so be warned if this type of writing irritates). But the combination of talents works well and this book should appeal as a story, especially to those reluctant readers graduating from comics and graphix and looking for suitable subject matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment