Thursday, 28 April 2011

Children's and Teens reading

While I should have been doing something else, I caught up on a bit of Children's and Teens fiction reading over Easter. So before I forget (and so I can return the books to avoid any fines), here's a quick rundown.

The short second life of bree tanner - Stephenie Meyer. I thought I might be over vampires and the Twilight phenomenon. But I found this novella a thoroughly good read. Bree is a new vampire and finds it difficult to control her thirst. Combine that with not knowing who to trust and a dawning realisation that she may be a pawn in a larger game and you have a suspense filled and, at the conclusion, poignant book for teens.

Tussock - Elizabeth Pulford. Kate's father is missing. The whole family is suffering as the search continues for his downed plane. Kate believes that if she lights the lamp each night in the old tin hut among the tussock, it will guide her father home. While there she meets Troy who she discovers is running away from his father, with good reason. The two story strands combine in a satisfying conclusion in this New Zealand chapter book for older children.

Dreams of Warriors - Susan Brocker. A Kiwi animal lover, this author's latest story of a family struggling to survive during the Second World War. Their father is a POW, their neighbour wants their farm, the grass is running out for the dairy herd and Bella's older sister is more interested in the American soldiers who are camped in town. Add to the mix a crazy bad-tempered racehorse called Gipsy and you have the ingredients for a great tale which mixes a slice of Kiwi history with an adventurous animal story.

When the cat's away - Jackie Rutherford. This Kiwi teen read is on the NZ Post Children's Book Awards short list. And it's a brilliant read. Real characters doing things that everyone can relate to. After all, if you were a teen and your mum and dad went away, and the person who was supposed to be looking after you couldn't be there, wouldn't you have a party. Find out how it happens and how three siblings who don't get on cope in the aftermath. There are jobs, food stalls and then there's the eating disgusting foods competition. Recommended.

No comments: