Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Kia Kaha Christchurch

Absolutely dumbstruck. As one of my colleagues said "I half expect the whole world to stop, stunned like I am...". I think for me it was probably made worse because when I think of disasters like this, I think of other places. After all, we have all seen the documentaries of the volcanoes blowing in Auckland, and Wellington being rocked by an earthquake. But even after September and Boxing Day, as bad as that was, I never really thought that Christchurch would be struck and devastated like it was yesterday. The images are more powerful than the words and I can't imagine how it must feel down there after a long cold wet and empty night. As someone else said "Give them a break - How much more can they take".

And while we watch it all unfold there is a feeling of helplessness. What can we do? Here are some ideas:

(a) It would still be great if we stayed off the phone as much as possible - If you can use text message (but not pix). This will leave the networks clear for the emergency personnel and help the power supplies.
(b) Give blood. There have been contradicting reports about this so the best thing to do is to keep track via the NZ Blood Service website. For those in Rodney, the Blood Service are on their regular visits to Albany and Glenfield Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week if you do want to make a contribution. For times and venues click this link.
(c) Support friends and family who have close ones in Christchurch. If you or anyone you know has people affected, this Web Page has the links you will find helpful, including a People Finder link.
(d) Donate to Red Cross or one of the other support organisations. One initiative that I have just heard of is to go mufti in red and black on Friday to support the city. And just like any other mufti day, pay a gold coin for the privilege, donating it to one of the charities.
(e) Pray... for more miracles, courage and support for the rescue effort and comfort for the survivors.

Arohanui from all your library colleagues and customers in the North.

No comments: