It is way (way) too hot to start thinking about winter and especially about winter sports. But with the Super 12 rugby starting this weekend just gone and the ANZ netball championships under way for almost two full rounds now, it is inevitable that my time would come. And that is exactly what happened over the weekend as we held our local college netball trials. I didn't get to see much of them of course, as I was fighting the paper war ensuring everyone got their fair chance on court. But if I was hot out in the foyer, I can't imagine what it was like running around in the gym.
Whether you are child or adult, if you want to get a headstart on the season we can help you out at the library.
Netball is my passion (but not quite my obsession although most of my holidays are taken up with tournaments). The link will take you through to coaching books, drills, how to, fiction and biographies of our top players and coaches. I had read my way through everything Rodney Libraries had so I am really looking forward to some of the different titles I can get now we are part of Auckland.
It's a big year for Rugby with the World Cup only a matter of months away. I am a rugby fan as well (although possibly not to the same extent I have been in the past, and it's been so long since I went to watch a game at the local Club, my gumboots have probably perished). There are books for everyone from nipper to champion to couch referee. And a fair spattering of anecdotal titles as well. Some of my favourites are the books highlighting rugby through the lens of Peter Bush.
Rugby League follows closely behind and who wouldn't want to see the Warriors win the NRL. My goal this year is to get to a live Warriors game rather than just sitting and watching it on TV.
Soccer or football (also known as the "beautiful game") is increasing in popularity locally, especially after the efforts of the All Whites at the World Cup last year. Striker, goalkeeper or fan, we will have something for you at the library.
Hockey is not a sport that I know very much about. At school the fields were always muddy and the sticks and balls hurt way too much (although I didn't come off exactly injury free on the netball courts either). However if it is your thing, we have resources for you as well.
Basketball for the elite players (as for many sports) seems to have been going all year. The Breakers gave their fans heart palpitations over the weekend with a double overtime win. For others, the season is just getting started so check out our books and movies with a basketball theme.
We have heaps of fitness and motivation books as well, for both players and coaches. So head along to the library, either in person or on the internet to find what you are looking for.
Ka kite.
No comments:
Post a Comment