The key words for today are 'More' and 'Better'. Yes - today we are talking about diet and fitness.
After seeing a couple of comments recently on Facebook, I decided to change around the way I was thinking about these particular resolutions which are so popular. Normally I think of it in terms of Less food i.e. concentrating on the negatives. Which is why I thought if I changed them around to More exercise equals better fitness and Better health choices (i.e. diet) results in better health (i.e. a more acceptable weight) and more energy.
Exercise and Fitness - There are over 500 different resources to be found at Auckland Libraries under the subject heading of Exercise ranging from books (including audio books) to DVD's. The activites range from simple walking to martial arts, pilates and yoga to racquet and ball sports. Some of the more intriguing titles include Fit in your jeans by Friday, a DVD by Kim Kardashian and The kitchen gym : get lean while you clean by Anne-Marie Millard. If that sounds a little tame there are always the Spartan Warrior or Navy Seal workout programmes to make you sweat.
Diet - For a lot of us it is a four letter word, but it doesn't have to be that way. There are over 200 diet books alone in our catalogue and thats without going anywhere near a subject heading like Nutrition or into the cooking section. It has to be said there are a lot of Fad diets out there so it does pay to make an informed and healthy choice when you are starting a weight loss programme. A catchy title might be a good read but not necessarily the right choice for your lifestyle. For that reason and because there are over 800 resources to choose from, I personally am going to head to Nutrition to get my information.
Motivation - The thing that stops me from achieving either my fitness or weight goals is usually that I run out of puff, not just literally but also mentally. So although most good diet and exercise books include ideas to keep you on track, I have added this one in here. Check out subject headings such as Motivation and key words such as Attitude to give yourself a kick in the right direction.
Catch me for a run down on how the library might help you with some of those other popular New Year's resolutions tomorrow. Ka kite.
No comments:
Post a Comment