Wednesday, 16 June 2010

It's snowing somewhere

I knew it was cold when I woke up this morning. As I drove into work (slightly later than normal due to a certain football game) I saw the first hint of white on the ground and knew for a fact that winter was here.

Which for a lot of people means just one thing. The ski season has arrived!! The North Island Ski fields are officially opening this weekend (although I heard a rumour that Turoa was going to open it's beginners slopes tomorrow).

I have been to the snow only a couple of times in my life and only one of those I actually ventured onto skis. I can't boast a huge amount of success as I seem to remember that more time was spent sitting in the snow than actually standing up and moving on it. Next time I might prepare better by hitting the library first so more of what the instructer says makes sense.

For up to date information on ski fields and what's happening in the world of snow check out the NZ Ski and Snow Reports website.

If snowboarding is your thing we have a range of books and resources. Catch the DVD Let it Ride about innovator Craig Kelly. The summary reads From riding rooftops in British Columbia to surfing in South America, from halfpipe glory to backcountry first descents, Craig Kelly was a dominating competitor and icon of big mountain riding. But he was also the forerunner of a new way of thinking about winning, about nature, and about life.

For Snow skiing we also have books for both adults and children. These range from instruction manuals, guide books through to White Heat - The extreme skiing life.

Whether or not you are like me and just want to be able to control the tow rope to get back to the top of the slope, or whether you are looking for something more intense, check out the Rodney Libraries. Or head to our very own local Snow Planet and put in some practice so you can look expert on the slopes this winter.

PS - GO THE ALL WHITES!!

No comments: