It's time for the big hats and race day fashions as the biggest race in Australasia breaks the gates at 5pm New Zealand time. I am (of course) talking about the Melbourne Cup. I will certainly be trying to find a TV somewhere that I can watch the 148th running of the race (although I have never been much good at picking the winner so I might refrain from my yearly trip to the TAB).
Hit up some of these websites if you want to know more about this year's race or the history of the Melbourne Cup.
The Melbourne Cup at Wikipedia
The Melbourne Cup blog
Emirates Melbourne Cup 2008 website
Cup History from the Official Australian Cultural website
If you want to do some reading, you can always head to your local Rodney Library. Browse through both fact and fiction under a subject heading like "horse racing" (click on any of these subjects to show what books we have in which library) or just come in and wander through the shelves. For fiction you would be looking for authors such as Dick Francis, John Francome or Lyndon Stacey. On our non-fiction shelves around call number 798.4 you will find biographies of horses and their trainer/jockeys as well as overviews of the industry.
If you are handy to Warkworth on Tuesday afternoon, don your hat and gloves and head along to our own mini-Flemington, Bridge House for their Cup Day event which will be raising funds for breast cancer. It may not be too late to arrange a ticket. Email organiser Rachel Sutton Rachel.Sutton@piper.co.nz or phone her on 021-374-737
Now all I have to do is choose between Master O'Reilly and Red Ruler to cheer for.
No comments:
Post a Comment