Thursday, 15 November 2012

Music or How to Ease the Craziness of NaNoWriMo

I seem to be in a musical frame of mind lately.  Last week it was classic rock, this week it's the new artists and albums that I have been checking out and listening to over the past year.

I blame it all on the madness of NaNoWriMo which is currently making my brain so fried that the only thing I am capable of (other than writing) is listening to music.

Youtube is also partially to blame.  A click here, a click there and suddenly I'm busy checking out songs and artists that I have never heard of, all courtesy of the side bar which leds you to similar songs and artists etc. It's seriously addictive stuff.  And also a big time waster (i.e. procrastination...).

Sadly for me a lot of the songs I like aren't known and easily available on CD here which is such a pity as there is some really great music out there in Youtube land.

Still some of my favourite's are available and I've been giving them abit of thrashing in the last few months along with the classic rock featured last week and others.





Ceremonials [compact disc] / Florence + The Machine.

Kate bush meets Bjork meets Stevie Nicks is one way to describe Florence + The Machine and their lead singer Florence Welch.

This woman is amazing.  She combines a powerhouse voice with artistic flair and every song is original and different. 

I've been a fan since Lungs which you should also check out (my favourite is the Drumming song).

Birdy [compact disc].

A talented singer and songwriter at only 16 Birdy has already has gained a lot of attention with her debut album.  So much so that she wrote and sang a song for the highly successful Hunger Games movie.

I looking forward to her next album which hopefully will showcase her songwriting talents to the fullest.

Check out her version of Skinny Love which is my personal favourite.


A new find for me, I came across this singer courtesy of Amazon's MP3 top picks for 2012 (which is another great way to find new music).

Since then I've been listening to this his 3rd and latest album and loving it.   A former busker by trade Mike Rosenberg (aka Passenger) changed direction with this album after the other band members left and finally manages to show his musical talents. 

It's a great album and one well worth listening to.

The XX [compact disc].

This is Indie pop group XX first album but one I only discovered earlier this year.  Luckily for me their 2nd album
Coexist  has recently been released so now I've got 2 lots of music to listen.

Their music reminds me a little of the likes of New Order and The Cure only with a more modern feel to it.

Check out Intro and Shelter which are my two favs.



Completely unknown here in NZ I have been a fan of A Fine Frenzy (aka Alison Sudol) since I heard one of her songs featured on Vampire Diaries.

Not only a talented singer, this her first album, has songs not only all written by her but that have been featured on many US TV shows.

Her latest album Pines was released last month so I'll be checking this out.  I'm hoping it will be as good as her first.


I love, love, love these guys.  Along with The Civil Wars they have become one of my favourite new bands.

Described as a folk rock band there is a certain kind of Irishness to their music even though none of the band members are Irish.

If you haven't heard of them you so have to check them out.  Start with their 1st album Sign no more and then move on to this, their latest (which was the fastest selling album this year in the UK).  You won't regret it.


I've been a fan of Diana Krall for some  years now.  She's one of those great sultry jazz singers along the likes of Nina Simone and Dinah Washington (who I am also a fan of).

This, her latest album. is a little different in that she performs songs from the 20's through to the 50's.

If you like old jazz and blues with a new twist then give it try.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You have excellent taste in music!

I love A Fine Frenzy too! You Picked Me is one of my favorite songs in the world. Good Work!