Thursday, 27 September 2012

Dirty Little Secrets or I Used To Be Famous But Now I'm Not

We've all thought about it. What it would be like to be famous.

As a kid I wanted to be a rock star. Not like Madonna. Instead I wanted to be like Joan Jett or Pat Bentar or Nancy Wilson from Heart. I wanted to sing and play a mean guitar  Unfortunately I didn't have a talent for either.

My next dream seemed at least a bit more realistic.  I wanted to be a journalist. Alas this also fell by the wayside.  I lacked that drive that journalists have to go after a story no matter what, even if it would have been kind of nice to see my name in a byline.

Now I'm quite happy to be anonymous and hide myself by the pseudonyms that I use.  If one day fame ever comes hopefully it won't be my name that is in print but my alias instead.

Others seem to have no problem revealing all their secrets.  Whether it's because they want to share with the world so others can learn from their mistakes or a need to reflect on past glories, fame for them is something that they can't quite give up.

Here's the story : surviving Marcia Brady and finding my true voice / by Maureen McCormick
The Brady Bunch was a wholesome family show, where no one ever said a swear word or smoked a cigarette or even slept in the same bed not even if they were married.

Yep it was that kind of show.  Dated by the standards of today but back in the 70's it was one of the most popular shows around and Marcia Brady was the girl that everyone wanted to be.  Pretty and popular, she could do no wrong.

The actress that played her gives her take on what it was like to inspire millions of girls while struggling with her own demons and the pressures of fame.

Lessons from the mountain : what I learned from Erin Walton / by Mary Elizabeth McDonough
Erin Walton was the middle sister, a freckle face red head who struggled to find her place in the world.

The actress who played her learnt a lot from her character as she too struggled to find her place in the world after The Waltons ended it's long run on television.

Here in her memoir she reveals how she became an unlikely women's advocate.


Losing it : and gaining my life back one pound at a time / by Valerie Bertinelli
At 21 Valerie Bertinelli had it all.  A successful television show and a rock star husband.  Gradually over the years that all changed along with her confidence in herself which saw her gained more than 50 pounds.

Now she's back in a successful TV show and her weight issues are a thing of the past.    In her book she talks about how she did this and what it was like being married to a man considered one of the greatest rock guitarist of his generation.



Another child star, another memoir, another book that shows the price that fame can have.

Even when her life seemed settled with a happy Hollywood marriage and a family Melissa Gilbert still struggled with her past and her expectations of future.  Alcohol was her crutch and in her tell all book she talks about the impact this had on her life, marriage and career.


This is not a memoir.  So if you're looking for a tell all dirty little secrets bio then you're out of luck.

Instead Molly Ringwald, a teen idol to millions back in the 80's, gives advice on life, love and a host of other things.




"Jessie is a friend.  Yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine."

I have to admit that I read this book just because I loved this song so much.  And okay I also have to admit that I thought he was pretty hot, then again I was only 15 at the time so my taste was pretty dubious.

Here he chronicles not only his up and down with stardom but his battle with stage fright and depression.

Now I haven't read  this... yet.

But as a teenager I was a huge, make that HUGE fan.  I had posters of Duran Duran plastered over my bedroom wall as well as all their songs on cassette - which I knew all the words to.

Yes I was that sad but hey they sang great music and were easy on the eye (even if they did wear more make-up than me).


 Stories I only tell my friends : the autobiography / by Rob Lowe
I will say this.  Rob Lowe is a gentleman.

As a teenager and into his early twenties he led a pretty scandalous life.  There were various love affairs with famous women, booze, drugs and finally that sex scandal which saw him disappear from the limelight for awhile.

In his bio he touches on these only briefly and instead tells of his rise to fame, his childhood friendships with the likes of Charlie Sheen and Sean Penn, the marriage that saved his sanity and his life and a host of other tidbits of a long and varied life.

Throughout it all he manages to be respectful and discreet about the all the people he has known.

This is no bitch fest.  Instead it's a thoughtful book from a man who turned his life around.

No comments: