Friday, 16 March 2012

5 phrases in Wookiee that would be exceptionally helpful...WERE I A WOOKIE!

"AAAWWW ROOOWWR, RRRAAHHHRR!"
- Wu Kee Smith (translation: Turn the page, and let's begin! - but you already knew that...didn't you?)

Title: How to speak Wookiee: a manual for intergalactic communication by Wu Kee Smith ; illustrations by JAKe
Publisher: Chronicle Books, c2011
Summary: This book will guide you through a few common scenarios in which you might have to speak to Wookiees. A sound module allows you to hear and practice correct pronunciation. Learning to understand and communicate this handful of phrases will impress your Wookiee acquaintances and keep you out of harm's way.

Confession: I am not a Wookiee. I just want to get that out there so it's all aboveboard, you know? Nor do I speak Wookiee. A smattering of French, very bad schoolgirl Japanese and, these days, practically non-existent schoolgirl German, yes. Wookie...mmm, no. It would never have occurred to me to want to speak a language that umm wasn't. So to speak. Like, say, Klingon or Elvish (my BFF's husband speaks Elvish because his mother taught him when he was a child, and I always found that rather curious and...downright weird but hey, judge not lest ye be judged, right?) or, well, Wookie. In fact, and don't kick me for this next confession, until I read this book/pushed all of the buttons that gave you (quite frightening sounding) audio examples (over and over again much to the delight of Mr. 1), I was of the opinion that every sentence Chewbacca made sounded the same *ducks* I've sinced changed my mind. Well, about that bit, anyway. So, I've read the book, practised a few phrases (please, dear goshness, don't make me say them out loud to you because we'd all be somewhat sorrier for the mangling of it) and, now, am a little bit better for it. Should I ever need it, here are 5 phrases in Wookie that could come in handy...were I a Wookie, anyway :)



ARRRGHH RHAWK-ARRGH.
Translation: Cut that out.

RWAAH-OH-OH AHHHGH.
Translation: That's so postmodern.

AHHH ARGH. ARRRGHH!
Translation: Turn right. Right!

WAH SHRF SHRF SHRF RRROOAARRGGHH.
Translation: I'm on board with this strategy.

AHHH-ARGH WHA?
Translation: Are you gonna eat that?

No comments: