I know that Halloween has been and gone, but I am in the middle of reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book at present so ghouls are top of mind again. I am loving it but as I am not finished there won't be a review... yet.However on the subject of ghosts, I picked up a children's fiction book Haunted by local author Lorraine Orman in the weekend. It's part of the Lightning Strikes series of easy to read chapter books which are heaps of fun with lots of topical subjects that will appeal to the new independent reader.
Haunted follows a traditional storyline with a pair of city kids being sent on holiday to the country. They have all the usual worries about no computers or cellphone coverage. Georgia discovers an abandoned house which is being used as a hay barn. It seems a perfect place to escape the bullying boys and she meets Lily who wants to be her friend. However there is something very strange about Lily, which leads to trouble for Georgia and her brother Ned. This was a very satisfying story and one I will be recommending to readers taking part in our Summer Reading Programme.
No comments:
Post a Comment