It's been a really busy day in Rodney Libraries world again today (including a power cut up in Warkworth which threw everything into darkness for half an hour). But I couldn't let the day go without acknowledging a certain anniversary.
One of our volunteers came in this morning and commented that there was so much national politics on the front page of the paper and on the radio with the furore over certain donations, that no mention had been made of 9/11. Of course in New Zealand we struggle with 9/11 as it actually happened on the 12th of September Kiwi time (to say nothing of the fact that they read their dates backwards anyway). I remember waking up in the middle of the night and thinking of War of the Worlds when I turned the radio on. It all just seemed too surreal and impossible until I turned the TV on and saw the pictures. And it's hard to imagine that it's been seven years (just as I was shocked to discover that it had been ten years since the crash that killed Princess Diana).
Terrorism and bullying in any form should be abhorred, so take a moment today (or tomorrow) to remember the tragedy that took so many innocent lives, and affected so many families and people around the world. And lets start reading all those histories of our past, so that we don't commit the same mistakes in the future (had to get a plug for the libraries in there somewhere). That's the beauty of literacy and gift of being able to freely read about both our past and today's world.
Just don't ask me to sift through all the different opinions and work out which one is right. My brain is way to blond for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment