The Storylines Family Day at the Aotea Centre on Sunday that is! I had an exhilirating (and exhausting day) helping out there (taking my turn at being one of those volunteers we are celebrating this week). I have heard reports that there were record crowds there and if some of the queues and crowds following Babette Cole, Joy Cowley, Carole Wilkinson and Hairy Maclary around or at the facepainters or comics stands, then I can well believe it. The storytelling sessions were packed out. The craftmakers were busy. The Kids Lit contest went into sudden death and it looked like everyone there was having a wonderful time.
I had the pleasure of helping visiting American storyteller Cathy Spagnoli navigate the Aotea Centre to get to her sessions. She has travelled extensively through Asia, India and Africa and has some wonderful tales to tell, being truly passionate about the power of the story to open up the world to people. I loved the way she involved the audience, getting them to help her finish the story, or help her tell it in sign language.
Another storyteller I helped was the dynamic Apirana Taylor. This multi-talented man is a musician, poet, painter, actor and (I have since learnt from a local school librarian who heard him speak at their conference last year) an inspirational speaker. I can well believe all that, simply by listening to him tell the tales of Maui and Matariki, often using Maori musical instruments and string figures. Don't turn down the chance if you ever get to listen to him. Or check out some of his poetry and stories that we have in the Rodney Libraries collection.
Have I raved for long enough? Do you get the picture? Will you be there next year? I certainly will be.
Ka kite ano
No comments:
Post a Comment