Tuesday, 10 August 2010

It starts with a Bang!

Last year I discovered Australian author Greig Beck and his first book Beneath the Dark Ice (click here to read my review of that title). So it was with interest that I awaited the second adventure of Alex Hunter. It landed on my desk on Friday night.

Return of the Prophet starts with a BANG! And it is a big one. We are talking Black Hole intensity. From there we are taken on a journey at break neck speed that meant I hardly put the book down all weekend. This book is set in the Middle East so you can envision the trigger happy warring nations, religious fanatics and competition to locate the technology that made such a bang. Throw in some science (which even I could follow), mythology and a touch of Dr Who (time travel, alternate universe, monsters) for an enthralling read. The characters, including the new ones, remain well drawn so that the conclusion is satisfying.

It can be hard to back up such an excellent debut and in the past I have often been disappointed by the second book. This is certainly not the case here. In fact I think expectations have been exceeded.

No comments: