Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Ask Me - You might be surprised.

The theme of Library week in 2010 is "Ask Me - You might be surprised". More often than not it is the librarians who are surprised by some of the questions and situations that arise. Here are a few examples.
  • A gentleman asked to look at books on spiders. The librarian led him to the shelves and pulled out several books for him to have a look at. He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a jar with a very large, black, hairy and alive spider in it and announced "I'm trying to identify this one." (You can find spiders on the childrens and adults non fiction shelves under call number 595.4)
  • A woman came in looking for a DVD "The wardrobe". We couldn't find it. She then thought it might have been called "The cupboard". Still no luck. She thought for a while and then asked "What's it called when you are gay and you come out of something?". She went away happy with the DVD called "The closet".
  • All libraries can tell tales of people who come in "I'm looking for a book - I don't know the title or the author but it has a blue cover and I got it out from here two years ago".

More tomorrow.

No comments: