Wednesday, 28 April 2010

I’m a terribly susceptible reader

I read books set in winter during summer to cool down.

I read books set in summer during winter to warm up.

If I read a book including cheese or champagne or bread my consumption of those things goes up.

If I read a book about baking I’m suddenly very popular with my workmates.

If I read a book about endurance athletes I feel fitter and as if similar success is within my ability. (That lasts about as long as the first five minutes of a run.)

While I feel as if I should be reading more books on financial success and tidiness I’m grateful I don’t read a lot of graphic murder thrillers.

…

What about you?

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I definitely find cooking inspiration in stories, probably based on similar encouragement from the writing. I get curious about regional cuisines in crime novels (I remember making potato soup after reading a winter thriller set in the snowy Northern U.S.). Plus, injuries and discomfort... I tend to hold my breath reading about tight spots and narrow squeezes, and feel almost physically uncomfortable reading about characters in pain until they can get to some pain relief. Not to mention, exhausted reading about lack of sleep. Not that the last one takes a lot of imagination.