Monday, 9 March 2009

Tiritiri Matangi Island

I'm glad I was wrong about the weather on the weekend. After taking my niece to Circus Oz on Saturday night we went over to Tiritiri Matangi Island on Sunday. This was the first time either of us had been over so I booked us in on a guided tour. Our guide, Dee, was excellent. She showed us edible plants, pointed out particular trees and had a good eye for the birdlife. Hearing her talk about how much work had gone into making the island pest free made me realise just how lucky I am to have a bunch of squabbling tui outside my window every morning.
A highlight for me was seeing several saddleback birds as I had never seen them before. My niece particularly liked the stitchbirds. We spent several minutes watching them feeding at the special bird feeders.
The library has some books that describe the story of developing the island from farmland to bush area and then into an open sanctuary. Much of the work was done by volunteers who are now an incorporated society. The Supporters of Tiritiri Matangi Island have their own website. They work collaboratively with the Department of Conservation to keep the island in tip-top condition.
If you've never been then I encourage you to go over and have a look around. It's quite different from bush walking on the mainland.
Have you been to Tiritiri Matangi Island? What were your highlights?

No comments: