Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Hi Warkworth Primary

I'm a bit late starting my Blog today as have just spent the morning entertaining three Year 3 classes from Warkworth Primary School. Hi everyone - I hope you all enjoyed your visit and walk back to school.

I really enjoy showing off the library to schools. This was the first of regular visits from the Year 3's and today we talked about:
  • how to get a library card and does it cost anything?
  • what you can use your library card for?
  • what sort of things we have in the library?
  • if it costs anything to take books out of the library?
  • how long can you have a book out of the library?
  • what things should they not do in the library?
  • what things books don't like having done to them?
  • how to check books out?

I also learnt a lot as I always ask them what they want to read and what their favourite types of books are. There were plenty of fiction (chapter books) mentioned with animals, horses, Geronimo Stilton, Captain Underpants, fairies, Maori, Roald Dahl and Star Wars all being very popular. Quite a few read in the non-fiction (information or true books) section with sports, animals, dinosaurs, bulldozers and famous people being popular. Regular readers of this blog will know that I also wasn't so concerned that quite a few times comics were mentioned.

I still have some work to do convincing some of the children that being smart is cool. I think deep down they actually know that it is, they are just too cool to admit it. I will see when they come back next term.

No comments: