Thursday, 4 December 2008

I can see my library from here!

If you've been watching the news recently you'll have seen that New Zealand now has its own version of Google Street View. This is a nifty piece of mapping that links ground level pictures with locations.

For example: if you go to the Events Calendar and look at today you can see that Whangaparaoa Library has a Rhymetime on at 10:30am. Clicking 'Map' (on the right) brings up a large scale map of Auckland. You'll have to remove the 'Whangaparaoa Library' part of the address before the map will narrow it down to the right location for you. Then, click on the picture and you'll see the Main street in Whangaparaoa with the library to the right. Cool!

There's also the ability for you to add your own location on the map. I've tried to do it with Whangaparaoa Library which technically should mean that it comes up in the list of options when the map first displays. At least, I think that's what it's supposed to do. It did say it would take a few minutes...

Have a go yourself and let us know what you've been looking at. (My friends have been looking at public buildings like the Auckland War Memorial Musem - I've been looking at my house!)

No comments: